Deacons has long recognised the importance of giving back to our community. We encourage everyone at all levels of the firm to play an active role in community activities ranging from giving pro bono advice to supporting local charities.
Recently, Deacons was awarded a Certificate of Appreciation from the Agency of Volunteer Service in recognition of our commitment to community service. The certificate recognises the 838.5 service hours that the Deacons Cares Committee and our volunteers have contributed through community service activities in the past year.
The Agency for Volunteer Service is a non profit organisation focussed on building a civil society and caring community. It is dedicated to playing a proactive and pivotal role in the promotion and development of sustainable volunteerism, and to develop partnerships with all sectors of the community to provide value added and quality volunteer service.
Deacons’ highlights from 2014 include:
- Over 90 staff clocking up a total of 838.5 service hours during the year, with each volunteer contributing to an average of 9 service hours.
- Continuing our ongoing support for Operation Santa Claus, the annual charity campaign organised by the South China Morning Post and Radio Television Hong Kong, for four consecutive years.
- Supporting "Free Ride Day" organised by the Hong Kong General Chamber of Commerce, allowing the public to ride on all trams and two Star Ferry routes free of charge.
- Raising HK$50,000 for Food Angel through the Dragon Boat team "Paddling to Raise Funds" initiative, the outreach programme and generous donations from our staff members.
- There were 50 donors participating in the Blood Donation Day 2014, breaking the record of the previous year.
- Setting up the "The ABCs of Law" Programme under the Deacons Cares' education initiative with the Hans Andersen Club.
- Pledging to WWF to stop serving shark fin in all corporate functions for three consecutive years.