Partner | Intellectual Property
- +852 2825 9482
- Download vCard
- Download CV / Print CV
Theresa is a Partner in the IP Commercial & Litigation Practice.
Theresa is qualified as a solicitor in Hong Kong and holds a JD from the Chinese University of Hong Kong and a PCLL from Chinese University of Hong Kong. She also obtained an Hon BSc in Life Sciences from the University of Toronto, specialising in Human Biology and Nutritional Science.
Theresa’s practice covers IP protection and enforcement in Hong Kong in the areas of trade mark, patents, registered designs, passing off, copyright, trade secrets and confidential information, company names and domain names and is one of the few lawyers in Hong Kong specialising in patent litigation where her science background has proved to be invaluable.
Theresa also advises on a wide range of IP commercial and local law compliance matters relating to clinical trials, advertising, marketing campaigns, product launches, consumer protection, copyright clearance, privacy and personal data protection, sale of goods, product guarantees and trade description and unfair trade practices.
Theresa advises a wide spectrum of clients including pharmaceutical, life sciences and chemical companies, as well as those in the luxury goods, clothing and accessories, electronics, toys and telecommunications sectors.
Theresa is also one of the few lawyers in Hong Kong specialising in entertainment & media law. She has been assisting clients in various aspects of video / film production such as clearing chain of title, drafting and negotiating production, crew, cast and location agreements, advising on the use of IP in films and advertisements, etc. She also advises on artist service and management agreements, as well as back-to-back agreements for engaging artists by advertising companies.
She is also the co-author of the Hong Kong Chapter of the Arbitration Award Enforcement Guide issued by the Independent Film & Television Alliance (2021).
In 2022, Theresa was nominated for IP Rising Star in the Women in Business Law Awards in APAC by Euromoney Legal Media Group.
- Advising a major e-commerce platform provider on various IP, advertising, personal data and consumer safety issues relating to business-to-consumer online platforms.
- Representing a Taiwanese electronics manufacturer on patent infringement arbitration proceedings.
- Advising well-known international brands on strategies against shadow companies in Hong Kong and successfully taking actions in court and at the Companies Registry.
- Representing a NASDAQ listed leading developer, manufacturer and marketer of life science tools on patent infringement actions concerning genetic sequencing against another listed biosciences company.
- Advising pharmaceutical companies on product liability issues and termination of clinical trials.
- Advising a multinational music record label on a dispute with its artist on music licensing and royalties.
- Advising a major US video streaming provider on the production of original content in Hong Kong, covering various aspects such as production services, cast and crew engagement, IP clearance, and location and materials release.
- Advising a global marketing communications agency on IP clearance in advertisements and back-to-back agreements for the engagement of celebrities in advertising.
More about Theresa Luk
- Legal 500
- Rising Star, IP, Hong Kong (2023)
- Managing IP
- Rising Star, Hong Kong (2022)
- Euromoney Legal Media Group’s Expert Guide
- Rising Star, Copyrights, Hong Kong (2022)
- Member, The Law Society of Hong Kong
- Council Member, The Licensing Executives Society, China – Hong Kong sub-chapter
- PCLL, Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2012
- JD, Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2011
- HBSc, University of Toronto, 2009
- Co-contributor, Hong Kong chapter, Arbitration Award Enforcement, 4th Edition by the Independent Film & Television Alliance (2021)
- Speaker, “Infringement and enforcement of intellectual property in the metaverse: Time for a metastrategy”, Deacons Afternoon Tea Series Webinar (Nov 2022)
- Speaker, “Fundamentals on Intellectual Property Law”, Deacons’ bespoke seminar for an electronics and audio-visual products company (Nov 2021)